This small but attractive church is medieval but of uncertain date, although thought to be around 13th or 14th century. Victorian alterations are evident but traces of the original features can be found, such as the doorway high up in the wall above the pulpit which would have led to the former rood loft across the chancel arch.
Of the medieval church the nave and chancel, with its 14th century piscina, have survived. The nave was later extended westwards, possibly as late as the 18th century. A tower was built in the early 19th century, to which a timber spire was added in 1872, which was covered by copper in 1922. The spire was part of the repair and restoration of the church in 1869-72 by William Chick, architect of Hereford, from which period are the present windows, the pews, and stained glass in the east window.
One of the east windows above the altar features St James the Great wearing his pilgrim sombrero and carrying his pilgrim staff complete with water gourd. He is to the right of the risen Christ whilst to the left of Christ is the figure of St James the Less, another of Jesus' disciples. In the south window is the unusual scene of Melchizedek King of Salem. Pilgrim scallop shells are in abundance on the relatively modern altar rail.
Click here to make a donation to this Church